Friday, April 23, 2010

42nd Annual Dogwood-Azalea Festival


Sorry I've been MIA this past week.  I've been dealing with some nasty sinus pressure.  You know the kind where you wish your head would just explode and put you out of your misery?  Now I'm on the mend and feeling much better.  Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

This past weekend we went back to my hometown of Charleston, MO to attend the 42nd Annual Dogwood-Azalea Festival.

WHAT!!??

You've never heard of the Dogwood-Azalea Festival??

Oh man, you are missing out.  Where else can you go to watch a parade that has clowns on lawnmowers,


eat fried Oreos and funnel cakes, 









and see beauty like this?


















Charleston is absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L this time of year.  I hadn't been back to the festival in about five years and it hasn't changed a bit.  Lots of food, fun and catching up with old friends. 

This festival is a REALLY BIG deal in Charleston.  

No really, it is!  

You see, Charleston is a small town.  One I am proud to say that I grew up in.  We don't have a mall or a movie theater.  We have one elementary school, junior high, and high school.  There are only two stop lights in town.  And we didn't get a McDonalds until about 10 years ago.  

Every April, when the Dogwood-Azalea  Festival is held, it brings in A LOT of people.  

What's A LOT of people, you might ask?

Let's just say that during that one weekend in April every year, my small town isn't so small anymore.  

People literally come from all over the country just for this one festival.  

I told you it was a BIG DEAL!!

There are craft shows, quilt shows, dog shows, a parade, concerts, good food, a petting zoo, pig races, a carnival, and a candlelight walk just to name a few.  We really had a fun weekend. It was good to be home again to celebrate the festival that I grew up loving as a child.     

Tristan did manage to sneak in a little snuggle time with his Papaw while we were there.





Anybody else grow up in a town where they have a fun festival each year?  I would love to hear about them. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love your azalea pics - they are one of my faves. Look forward to following you. Can already see we have a lot in common (Diet Coke, books, Star Wars, and my youngest is a Tristan, too)! :)

Emmy said...

Those pictures are beautiful! Love those flowers.
Our town always had it's little fair every year, but nothing to write home about :)

Cara Carroll said...

Okay...so, I can't stop thinking about that funnel cake!! HA!! Looks YUM!!! Just stopping by from new friend friday at the girl creative!!!